Monday, November 8, 2010

Crazy Bones!


Reading: Harry a History (Melissa Anelli)

Yes! Crazy Bones! I don't know where it came from but something reminded me of these colourful, contorted little characters. Though shorter lived they were, in my opinion, better than Pokemon. I mean yeah Pokemon were bigger. Yeah they had games and cards and movies and a tv show, while, as far as I know, Crazy Bones were confined to the things themselves, the latter was so much more fun. They were colourful and cute and 3-dimensional. Also the game was far less complicated. Throw Crazy Bone. Knock down opponents Crazy Bone. Collect your booty. I never actually played 'for keeps' because I only had a few Bones and was very attached to them (I even built them a house), but I spent many a recess camped out on the tarmac with my friends and occasionally my sisters comparing and occasionally trading. Then they got banned. School yard gossip said teachers were concerned about a game in which kids threw little plastic figurines at each other and then went home with another child's toys. *sigh*
I cannot even imagine the hell the teachers must have gone through with Pokemon. Older kids were cheating younger kids, fights were started over cheating and game rules and then there was Collectors Corner A corner of the schoolyard dedicated to trade, battles and just showing off. It was the thing to do and I remember being to nervous to go alone. I always went with my braver friend. It felt like going somewhere exclusive and somewhat shady. It's amazing what a 9 year old's mind can conjure up . I can think of several things that felt so real at the time, but thinking back were ridiculous. That's the power of imagination.



<3 G

No comments:

Post a Comment