Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Mmmmm Crackers

Reading: How To Ditch Your Fairy (Justine Larbalestier)

What does one do when one has (delicious) cranberry goat cheese, but no crackers and no money to buy crackers? Well, if like me, one does have flour, milk butter and salt, one makes crackers! That's right. This morning I made my own crackers. And they were delicious. Here's the recipe I used from the Towards Sustainability blog. Thanks for the recipe Julie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Basic Cracker Recipe


Ingredients

2 cups of plain flour
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons softened butter
approximately 1 cup of milk

Method

1. Preheat oven to 150'C/ 300'F.

2. Add the salt to the flour, and in a mixing bowl or food processor, cut the butter in until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.

3. Slowly mix in enough milk to form a soft, but not sticky, dough.

4. Divide the dough into two or three portions and roll out one at a time, until paper thin. You can do this on a lightly floured workbench, or you can do it straight onto a large, ungreased cookie sheet, as I do. This recipe makes enough for my two 10" x 15" trays, so divide your dough accordingly.

5. Using a sharp knife or pizza roller, cut the dough into crackers. Prick each one two or three times with a fork and transfer carefully to the cookie sheet if you rolled it out on your bench.

6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp. Allow to cool on the tray and then store in an air tight container for up to a week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am happy to report that they were delicious, if uneven due to my lack of a rolling pin. I sprinkled them with sea salt and they went perfectly with my goat cheese. Mmmm goat cheese. I even shared them at work and no one died. I may never buy crackers again.

<3 G

No comments:

Post a Comment