Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Never Pay for Cards Again

Reading: OOTP JK Rowling
I am always amazed when people come through my register and drop ten, twenty, thirty dollars on greeting cards. True, some are kind of cute, but usually it's nothing special and at five-bucks a pop, you want something a little neat. I myself, haven't paid for a card in years. I make all mine and so can you. All you need is a printer really and an internet connection.

What You'll Need:
  • Printer
  • Internet Connection
  • A computer program that allows you to work with graphics and fonts. I use Photoshop, but you could use something as simple as Microsoft Word just as well. For a free PS-type program check out Gimp.
  • Cardstock (optional)
  • Glitter (optional)
  1. Get some inspiration.
    Visit your local Hallmark, do a google search, look at some of your own cards. Scrapgirls has a full gallery devoted to cards that members have created (here) and Hallmark has some of theirs up on their website (here).
  2. Get some supplies
    You can make a basic card using clip art you find online, or already within the program you are using and some nice fonts or, if your feeling a little more creative, there's a bevy of digital scrapbooking freebies and fun fonts available online for anyone to download (I have a slight font obsession, and as a result have more than I know what to do with). If you want some more details on fonts you can checkout this post. A basic Google will give you a tonne of results, but a lot will be crap to be honest. I get most of my supplies from Scrapgirls, Shabby Princess and Digifree.
  3. Assemble your card.
    Last step. Put it all together and print it out! Easy peasy.
If you want, you can enhance your card with some glitter or bit of ribbon afterward. It's simple and fun and looks pretty damn impressive and best of all, you're only really paying for the paper and ink.

♥ G

No comments:

Post a Comment